Pages

Saturday, September 5, 2020

THE LORD IS NEAR TO ALL WHO CALL UPON HIM

 


THE LORD IS NEAR TO ALL WHO CALL UPON HIM

Sometimes I think we miss the message of the Psalm at Mass. The Psalm is our response to the First Reading. It will tie in with the theme of the First Reading. Today, we hear the truth that God is near to all who call upon him. As I reflect upon this response, I am reminded of the need to intercede for the Church, our ministers, the ministries of the Church, and for all our general needs.

Intercession is a greatly undervalued commodity in the life of faith. There are monasteries of contemplative men and women who give their lives in intercession for the Church and the Gospel. Do we appreciate enough the gift these men and women are to us and the essential nature of their ministry? Without them, the Church and the world would be in a much worse state than we are today. Is this something that I can prove? No, but the evidence of testimony to the fact that intercession works is good enough for me to be convinced that I should spend more time in interceding.

The psalmist reminds us that God wants us to share with Him our perceived needs so that He can address them. If we are willing to entrust our needs to the Lord, we will give Him the opportunity to demonstrate His faithfulness by answering our prayers. This will then encourage us to present more of our needs to Him. It is a win-win situation for us. In responding to His nearness to us, we draw closer to the Lord and, thus, make it easier for Him to influence our lives even more. Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

----------- REFLECTION QUESTION ---------

Do you believe that God answers prayers? How willing are you to place your petitions before the Lord?

Jesus, hear my prayers and draw closer to me. I want to know You more and more. Amen.

Today, I pray for: ___________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs