Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

What is it about the Christmas season that excites you? - Daily Reflections December 11,2013


STRENGTH TO THE FAINTING

 
There is something about the fast approaching Christmas that makes us all look at life and everything associated with it a little differently. The air literally gets nippier, people look happier, and time itself seems to move faster. Expectant anticipation seems to build ever so gradually towards an undefined high point, lending itself to an unstoppable crescendo as Simbang Gabi opens in a few days’ time.
       I have been reflecting on this phenomenon since I started celebrating Masses 30 years ago. There was a time I thought it all had to do with material gifts, with special food, and with mirth-making available only to those who had money to spare. Now, I am having more than just second thoughts about it. Yes, the whole country joyfully awaits Christmas. No, it is not true that only the rich await it with wide-eyed expectation and runaway anticipation.
       So, if it’s not about material things, then what is it all about? What explains the growing and glowing excitement that is equaled only by the lavish Christmas lights that we see all over?
       This question is not any different from another I ask myself very often. Whenever I see people in pain, people who are hurting indescribably, people who should have “lost it” long ago, but who keep trudging on with faith and hope in their hearts, then I think I have an answer — the very same answer given us today by the prophet, who stood witness to the untold suffering of a people thrown into bitter exile in Babylon!
       It was not material things that kept them alive. Neither was it a dream or longing for something else tangible, palpable and  quantifiable. Their hopes were not riveted on things and actions, but on a person!
       Isaiah could not have put it any better when he wrote: “The Lord is the eternal God!… He does not faint nor grow weary… He gives strength to the fainting and vigor to the weak!”
       Come now, Lord, do not delay! Fr. Chito Dimaranan, SDB
 
REFLECTION QUESTION: What is it about the Christmas season that excites you?
 
Jesus, help me to see that You are the reason for this season. I put my hope and trust in You.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs