Pages

Monday, January 21, 2013

Daily Reflections - January 21,2013


No Professionals Allowed
 
A kid once asked me, “How many Masses have you celebrated as a priest?” The question intrigued me. I have been a priest for 16 years now but I don’t really keep a record. I know of a priest friend who does, and every time he celebrates his anniversary, he would announce the number of Masses he has celebrated. Considering that I say Mass at least once a day and several during Sundays, I may have celebrated at least 5,840 Masses.
You would think that with at least 5,840 Masses “under my belt,” I could be considered a “professional” and celebrating the Mass would just be a breeze every time. Honestly, I don’t feel like that at all. At every Mass, I still feel nervous. Before every Mass, I prepare with serious consideration. At every Mass, I still feel sweetly burdened. There are still moments when I raise the host and lift up the chalice and I say to myself, “Who am I to do this? I stand here not because I am worthy. I stand here because I was given an undeserved privilege.”
Today’s First Reading from the Letter to the Hebrews speaks of a theology of the priesthood — a priesthood that takes its origin from Jesus Himself, the High Priest. It is striking what the Letter says of the priest, “And no one takes this honor on himself, but he receives it when called by God, just as Aaron was” (v.4). Even more striking is what the Letter says about Jesus the High Priest: “In the same way, Christ did not take on himself the glory of becoming a high priest. But God said to him, ‘You are my Son; today I have become your Father’” (v.5).
I believe what Blessed Mother Teresa said applies here best: “We are called not to be successful but to be faithful.” Before such a tremendous mystery, no one becomes “successful” or a “professional,” whether you are the one who celebrates the Eucharist or participates in it. Before such tremendous mystery, no one becomes worthy. At best, we could only be less unworthy. Fr. Joel Jason
 
REFLECTION QUESTION: Have you become mechanical and routinary in your approach to the mysteries of your relationship with God?
 
Attract my heart, O God, that I may always approach You with sincere intentions and a grateful heart. Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs