Pages

Monday, November 26, 2012

Daily Reflections - November 26,2012


Being Whole By Giving All
 
When I was gathering some prizes for our alumni homecoming, I thought of soliciting from our priests in the seminary for items that they can spare. An old priest told me he really wanted to give but did not know what to give. I thought that he was so blessed with a lot that it was hard for him to choose from an array of gifts. So he invited me to his room. When I entered, I saw how bare his room was. He opened his closet and showed me just two pairs of pants and polo shirts. He asked me to choose from those pairs. I did not know how to react. I just told him how sorry I was to have asked him.
It would have been easy for him to tell me he didn’t have anything to give. Yet, in his poverty, he was still willing to share. That old priest may not have given anything, but he gave more in terms of inspiration and witnessing. When I told that story during our alumni event, almost everyone was in awe and nearly in tears.
The Gospel today may turn off some people. Jesus praised the poor widow because she gave from her poverty, her whole livelihood. Quantitatively, that is not much. In fact, it is almost negligible. It may hardly matter as far as the temple is concerned. But Jesus saw deeper.
On the other hand, Jesus saw the offerings of some wealthy people as less. Jesus distinguishes between giving from surplus and from one’s livelihood. He does not only give importance to willingness and sincerity to give but total giving. For all we know, the wealthy people also gave willingly and sincerely. But Jesus pointed out that they gave out of their surplus. Therefore, offerings must not only include what one has but also oneself. Offerings are always personal.
Jesus gave Himself fully as an example. As followers, we are expected to do the same. Only in that way can we be whole. Fr. Benny Tuazon
 
REFLECTION QUESTION: When you give, do you give until it hurts?
 
Lord Jesus, teach me to give not just with joy but with my all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs