Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Daily Bible Reflections - April 18, 2012


FROM TRUTH COMES THE LIGHT
 
An altar boy came rushing into church one morning just before Mass. I was praying my breviary using my iPod Touch. He looked at my iPod, wanting to know how much time he had left. By instinct, I had him look at my watch and told him he had about four minutes to spare. As he disappeared into the sacristy, it dawned on me that I was a hopeless digital migrant foraging into the world of digital natives who simply loathed things like wrist watches for they were simply single-function devices.
I caught myself in my analog frame of mind and realized that kids now need no wrist watches. Their minds all but rewired digitally, they don’t watch the time the way oldies do. Their multi-function digital gadgets keep time for them, to remind them of their next appointment and so on.
With the digital world, a new form of darkness has set in — the culture of isolation. Yes, in a world of social networking, the new darkness of isolation has taken the whole world by storm.
I have always been fascinated by the texting culture in the country. It never fails to amuse and amaze me how entire families could see movies together, only to get out of the cinema and sit down to a meal at a restaurant, and do nothing else but text their time away! Togetherness and physical proximity do not necessarily make for meaningful connectedness.
The Gospel is good news anywhere, anytime. Today’s passage reminds us of two interrelated things: truth and light. The first stands for acceptance of what is. It means being aware of where we are and of the circumstances that surround us. But making changes after accepting what is, is what the second calls for. It means deciding what to do on the basis of what we know. Once upon a time, we came to acknowledge the truth about us through a solid examination of conscience. But after acknowledging sinfulness, we are called to do more. That is called conversion. It means living the truth and coming to the light! Fr. Chito Dimaranan, SDB
 
REFLECTION QUESTION: Have you fully accepted who you are, with all your strengths and weaknesses?
 
Lord Jesus, help me to accept my weaknesses and sinfulness and then to move on the truth of God’s love for me.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs