Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Daily Reflections- March 29, 2012


AN INVITATION TO A COVENANT
 
There’s a book entitled Should Anyone Say Forever? We see the reality of commitments broken, accountabilities not kept, and relationships severed. It is easier for some people to have babies but to take care of growing children is a harder promise to keep. To take responsibility is more challenging. There is a natural amnesia that happens when fear paralyzes our ability to be in touch with the reality of rising demands in our life.
The readings talk of God keeping His covenant: “I will maintain my covenant with you and your descendants after you throughout the ages as an everlasting pact, to be your God and the God of your descendants after you. I will give to you and to your descendants after you the land in which you are now staying, the whole land of Canaan, as a permanent possession; and I will be their God.”
The Responsorial Psalm reminds us of God’s promise: “The Lord remembers his covenant for ever.” In the Gospel, Jesus assures the listeners: “Amen, amen, I say to you, before Abraham came to be, I AM.” Jesus has been faithful to His relationship with the Father: “But I do know him and I keep his word.”
How do we respond to the covenant of God? Abraham prostrated himself in submission to the will of God. Jesus kept His covenant to the Father and His disciples by prostrating Himself, even unto death. Sometimes, we are like the listeners of Jesus, who couldn’t see the continuation of God’s covenant in Jesus and they pick up stones to throw at Him.
We know a little about commitment. It means time, presence and fidelity. Time is not just now. It is an eternal now: yesterday, today and tomorrow.
Our response is an invitation — every moment, every breath of our life. Presence is local and universal. It is catholic. Fidelity is God  promising, “I will be your God, and you will be my people.”Fr. Teodulo P. Gonzales, S.J
 
REFLECTION QUESTIONS: What commitments do you break or keep? How do you see the wonders of God unfolding in your life? How do you respond to the God who keeps His covenant by the many blessings He manifests in your life?
 
Lord Jesus, help me to be faithful to all the commitments and promises I make, especially to You.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs