Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Daily Reflections

July 25, 2011
MOTHERS AND OUR VOCATION STORIES

The story of James and John in our Gospel today is an interesting account about their mother’s intervention with Jesus. It reminds me of my own vocation story. My mother played a great role in motivating me. When I was young, my mother used to bring me along to her devotional practices.
Every Sunday, she and Papa would lead us to church in our Sunday’s best. And every night, she would gather the whole family around our altar for the recitation of the rosary. When I was of age to be admitted as an altar server, she and my godmother introduced me to the kind Belgian priests who were then administering the Parish of San Fernando de Dilao. I then moved on to become a lector, a commentator and even a song leader for the Masses.
I believe that the seed of my vocation came from my mother. I love to repeat in my sharings: “Perhaps if there was an opportunity for women to train inside the seminary as aspirants to the ministry, my mother would have been among the first applicants!” She, more than my father, had the greater desire for me to be a priest. When I was finally ordained in April 3, 1988, my mama was most touched. She cried more than any of us in the family. The day was the answer to her many prayers.
While we thank the Lord God for fathers who provide for our families and who give our families a sense of stability, we do acknowledge that, for the greater number of us, our mothers formed our hearts, souls and spirits. Our mothers greatly molded the gentler side of our life orientation.
Like the mother of James and John, our mothers could have been the ones who really encouraged us into certain advocacy and values that we now find deeply embedded in us. Of course, like the mother of James and John, our mothers may at times come across as too strong and emphatic about their convictions. But we are sure of one thing: Their prayers are always for our well-being and for our success.
So, today, let us say, “Hooray” for mothers!Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP

Reflection Question:
Recall the goodness of life that came to you through your mother. Spend some time praying for the intentions of your mother.

Lord Jesus, help me to respect, obey and take care of my mother as You would want me to, given my state of life.

St. Cucuphas, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs