Pages

Saturday, November 21, 2020

SIMPLE OBEDIENCE IS BEST

 


SIMPLE OBEDIENCE IS BEST 

Mary and some of Jesus’ relatives are looking for Him. When they find  Him, they send word that they are waiting for Him outside. Jesus takes this  opportunity to teach the people something about the nature of discipleship.  There is an almost universal respect for the role of a mother in teaching and  bringing up a child. Is Jesus’ response, then, rude and uncaring toward Mary  His mother? I think not. Jesus is simply saying that it is even more important  to respect God’s will in our lives. God holds a higher call over our life than  either or both of our parents do. 

Now, I am not saying that we should disregard our parents. We must  still respect them in every way. We are not to try and use one against the  other. However, we need to balance our respect for them with an unbreakable  commitment and obedience to God’s will. 

For example, I can remember telling my parents about my desire and  decision to become a priest. I had not talked to them about my discernment  at all. I realize now that it would have been better if I did. When I told them I  knew deep within my heart two things. First, that I wanted my parents’ blessing  for the decision I was making. Second, that I believed that it was what God  wanted for me and even if they were not happy with my decision, I would go  ahead with it anyway. 

Fortunately, they were happy and gave me their blessing. It is not that I  would have enjoyed defying my parents, but the will of god and His call had  a greater pull on my life. I never doubted that my parents would want to stop  me. In fact, they gave me their full support. It was one of the happiest moments  of my life to know that Mom and Dad were behind me in my decision. I know  of others who pursued the path of priesthood without their parents’ blessing  because God’s call was the greater. It is a practical example of Jesus’ words when  He says to those around Him that it is those who do the will of His Father in  heaven who are His mother and sister and brother. Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

 

 

REFLECTION QUESTION 

Is there anything that you would allow to deflect you from God’s will for your life?

 

Lord Jesus, help me to be obedient and persevering when it comes to Your will. Amen.

 

Today, I pray for: __________________________________________________________ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs