Pages

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Even if we do not fully understand God’s work in our lives, it makes a lot of sense to work with it rather than against it - Daily Bible Readings October 1,2014

1ST READING
 
Job proclaims the greatness and power of God as if to underline the futility of getting into a head-to-head clash with Him. Job is right in this. We need to respect God’s power, not fight it. If we try to fight against God we can be sure that we will come out on the losing side. It is simply not a sensible thing to do. Thus, even if we do not fully understand God’s work in our lives, it makes a lot of sense to try and work with it rather than against it.
 
Job 9:1-12, 14-16
1 Job answered his friends and said: 2 I know well that it is so; but how can a man be justified before God? 3 Should one wish to contend with him, he could not answer him once in a thousand times. 4 God is wise in heart and mighty in strength; who has withstood him and remained unscathed? 5 He removes the mountains before they know it; he overturns them in his anger. 6 He shakes the earth out of its place, and the pillars beneath it tremble. 7 He commands the sun, and it rises not; he seals up the stars. 8 He alone stretches out the heavens and treads upon the crests of the sea. 9 He made the Bear and Orion, the Pleiades and the constellations of the south; 10 he does great things past finding out, marvelous things beyond reckoning.  11 Should he come near me, I see him not; should he pass by, I am not aware of him; 12 should he seize me forcibly, who can say him nay? Who can say to him, “What are you doing?” 14 How much less shall I give him any answer, or choose out arguments against him! 15 Even though I were right, I could not answer him, but should rather beg for what was due me. 16 If I appealed to him and he answered my call, I could not believe that he would hearken to my words.
 
P S A L M
Psalm 88:10-11, 12-13, 14-15
R: Let my prayer come before you, Lord.
9 [10] Daily I call upon you, O Lord; to you I stretch out my hands. 10 [11] Will you work wonders for the dead? Will the shades arise to give you thanks? (R)11 [12] Do they declare your mercy in the grave, your faithfulness among those who have perished? 12 [13] Are your wonders made known in the darkness, or your justice in the land of oblivion? (R) 13 [14] But I, O Lord, cry out to you; with my morning prayer I wait upon you. 14 [15] Why, O Lord, do you reject me; why hide from me your face? (R)
 
GOSPEL
 
Jesus makes it clear that becoming His disciple is a serious decision and it is best if we do not look back. There are temptations for those who look back because not that many people take seriously the call to discipleship. When a person looks back, he will see all those who have not taken up the call, living lives that may be far more attractive.
 
GOSPEL ACCLAMATION
I consider all things so much rubbish that I may gain Christ and be found in him.
 
Luke 9:57-62
57 As Jesus and his disciples were proceeding on their journey someone said to him, “I will follow you wherever you go.” 58 Jesus answered him, “Foxes have dens and birds of the sky have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to rest his head.” 59 And to another he said, “Follow me.” But he replied, “Lord, let me go first and bury my father.” 60 But he answered him, “Let the dead bury their dead. But you, go and proclaim the Kingdom of God.” 61 And another said, “I will follow you, Lord, but first let me say farewell to my family at home.” 62 Jesus answered him, “No one who sets a hand to the plow and looks to what was left behind is fit for the Kingdom of God.”
 
think:  Even if we do not fully understand God’s work in our lives, it makes a lot of sense to work with it rather than against it.
 
T O D A Y’S BLESSING LIST
Thank You Lord for: __________________
 
____________________________________
 
God’s special verse/thought for me today_
_____________________________________
 
READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Proverbs 24-27
 
PERSONAL MISSION STATEMENT
The ultimate purpose of my life
__________________________________________________________________________________________
__________________________________________________________________________________________
__________________________________________________________________________________________
GOALS FOR THE QUARTER
Priority areas God wants me to work on
__________________________________________________________________________________________
__________________________________________________________________________________________
__________________________________________________________________________________________
 
 
PRAYER SHEET                                                                                                                                 FOR
Things I will pray for regularly                                                                                                      MY LIFE

DATE                          PERSONAL NEED                           DATE                          GOD’S ANSWERS

When I                    “Until now, you have not                      When the                 “Ask and you shall receive,
started                asked for anything in My Name.”                answer                   that your joy may be full.”
praying                            - John 16: 24a                                 came                                  - John 16: 24b
 
 
PRAYER SHEET                                                                                                                                FOR
Things I will pray for regularly                                                                                                     MY LIFE

        EVANGELISM LIST                                                                        CARING LIST
                  People God wants me to                                                  People God wants me to
                                   bring closer to Him                                                 pray for and show more love to

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs