Pages

Thursday, August 13, 2020

MY FORBEARING LANDLADY


MY FORBEARING LANDLADY 

“Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?” – Matthew 18:21, NASB

“I’ll be back then and pay what I owe.” That was my promise to my landlady in Cagayan de Oro after overcoming my second fatal disease. I left the city to recuperate in Bulacan under the care of my family.

It was a moment of uncertainty. In a span of two months, I was hospitalized, lost my job, and racked up a bill of more than half a million pesos in confinement and medications.

Because I wanted to return to my mission field in the province, I asked her if I could keep my apartment until I got well and could look for funds.

Instead, I had a third bout with this fatal disease and months of suffering prolonged my debts and agony. I owed a total of ten months’ rent, yet my landlady was graciously patient and understanding.

Now, I am well and I’m up-to-date with my rental payments. Had my landlady been less merciful years ago, I don’t know how I could have coped being sick and displaced.

This humbling experience reminds me to be forbearing to others as my landlady was to me. Aben Garlan (mail@abengarlan.com)

Reflect: “Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.” (Colossians 3:13, NIV)

Lord, may I be a reflection of Your unfathomable mercy to others. Amen.

St. Benilde, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs