Pages

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Do you still learn new things each day? - Daily Reflections February 20,2014

UNIVERSALITY OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
 
For my sabbatical in 2011, I took a short course at the Vatican II Institute in Menlo Park, California. In the beginning, I thought studies would wear me out, considering that I had been in active ministry for 25 years. But once there, it did not take a day for me to conclude that I would definitely enjoy that three-month holistic renewal program aimed at assisting priests in the understanding, integration and implementation of the vision and teachings of the Second Vatican Council. Why wouldn’t I? I had the chance to pray, reflect and rest. A spiritual director and a growth counselor closely journeyed with me as I bared myself before them to seek guidance as I took stock of myself. I had a group guided by a Jesuit counselor where many tearful recollections of our painful past were processed. And how could I forget the Ignatian retreat which I completed under the guidance of a Vietnamese Jesuit who lovingly reshaped my take on my priestly life?
       My experience in the Vatican II Institute, especially in our exposure to the ministry for the US churches, brought me closer to the realization that indeed the Catholic Church is universal and we are called in our service to “show no partiality as we adhere to the faith,” as mentioned in our reading today. The multi-cultural character of the US churches is, in essence, the same as what we have here in the Philippines, or anywhere else. Our service calls us to love our neighbor as ourselves. By doing so, we are demanded by our ministry to be fair and just, and never discriminate based on race, color, social status or religion. Jesus is for everyone. Salvation is for all. We need to go out, stand out, and reach out to proclaim that Christ is alive, in fact and not just in faith. And since He is alive, we too can look forward to the future with hope in our resurrection. For in the end, death and sin will be destroyed, and God will be all in all.
       I will always cherish my sabbatical in Menlo Park and the great people there who made my stay worthwhile. It has confirmed what I have already known, and reconfirmed what I still have to learn. Fr. Erick Y. Santos, OFS
 
REFLECTION QUESTION: Do you still learn new things each day?
 
Lord Jesus, may I continue to learn from You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs