Pages

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Do you find yourself exploding into a “diva” rage when things don’t go according to your preferences? - Daily Reflections October 1,2013


SPEAKING OF ENTITLEMENTS

 
Last year, the seminary where I work was blessed to have a sister who was not only very holy but a very good cook as well. Having stayed in Italy for so many years, we were spoiled with an almost daily treat of Italian dishes. Then she got sick and her knees needed to be operated on. For many months she was immobile and couldn’t perform her daily tasks, including the cooking of our meals.
       I remember “complaining” that our meals were not as good as before. Don’t get me wrong though; our staff still prepared good meals. I just got so used to that particular sister preparing special treats, I considered it my entitlement and no longer a privilege. When she came back, I once again enjoyed the same treats as before. But now I always say to myself, “Thank You, Lord, for this undeserved blessing.”
       When we become so used to good treatment, even for something we do not really deserve, we can begin to claim it as an entitlement instead of a privilege.
       In the company of Jesus, who was then gaining popularity with His wisdom and accompanying miracles, the Apostles surely were given rock star treatment everywhere they went. Then came the Samaritan experience in today’s Gospel. The Samaritans were bitter enemies of the Jews. It was understandable that Jesus and the Apostles were not welcomed in their town as they made their way to Jerusalem. Behaving like spoiled divas, they requested Jesus to rain down fire from heaven to consume the entire town. Jesus rebuked and corrected them. The rejection did not bother Jesus. It was the brothers James and John who took it as an insult to their status.
       James and John strutted with an attitude of entitlement. Jesus’ attitude is a reminder that one can handle a disappointment better when one realizes that everything is a privilege. Fr. Joel O. Jason
 
REFLECTION QUESTION: Do you find yourself exploding into a “diva” rage when things don’t go according to your preferences?
 
Open my eyes, O Lord, to the many undeserved privileges I am blessed with. Grant me serenity in moments when things don’t go my way. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs