Pages

Monday, October 12, 2020

THIS GENERATION

 


THIS GENERATION

I remember this most vividly. It was a favorite ploy of formators back in the day in the seminary, to use the “comparative method” when it comes to impressing upon us the need to shape up. I know that parents who get to read this are guilty of the same thing. “This class is rotten!” “Why can’t you be like your kuya or ate (older brother or sister)?” “This group of seniors are simply a lousy group!” And you know the rest that remains unsaid—we are either rotten or lousy in comparison to another group, an older sibling, or an exemplary cousin.

Comparisons, though unpleasant, begin with really good intentions. The method may be off, but the goal and the intended outcome is good. I know this first-hand. My grandmother used to tell me many times back then: “Why don’t you imitate your cousin who serves at Mass and assists at processions?” It hit home hard. It struck me quick. I wouldn’t hear any of it. I was worse than the Ninevites who refused to do as told by Jonah.

I don’t know if my cousin still goes to Mass, but thank God, I am still very much around and happily celebrating Masses over the so many suns and moons past—and still counting. And now as an educator and formator, I know I am guilty of the very same things I did not like then. God knows I am sometimes tempted to say something worse than what the Lord said: “This generation is an evil generation.”

Yes, we live in interesting times. Nowadays, what is wrong is made right and what is right is deemed wrong. Hatred and hasty judgments abound in the evil social media generation, of which I am part. The Ninevites, in comparison, would appear prim and proper.

But people, no matter how bad, are not a hopeless lot. The Ninevites eventually “repented at the preaching of Jonah.” Our social media generation may be deep in wrong made right and right deemed wrong, but there is hope. Fr. Chito Dimaranan, SDB

---------- REFLECTION QUESTION -----------

In the presence of “someone greater than Jonah” in our midst, what would be your response?

Thank You, dearest God, for always giving me second chances. Amen.
Today, I pray for: ____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs