Pages

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

What stuff are you carrying during this busy season? - Daily Reflections December 9,2015

THE WRONG STUFF
 
One of the best reads I had in years is a book entitled Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff... and It’s All Small Stuff by Richard Carlson. This is how the book describes its contents: “So many of us would like to live our lives in a calmer and less stressful way, and be able to let go of our problems. (This book) shows you how to stop letting the little things in life drive you crazy.”
       I find this book interesting, considering how stressful my life can sometimes be. Imagine shuttling from one activity to another, one sacrament to the next, and so on. The book contains essays suggesting daily changes that could make a lot of difference in one’s life.
       Some of the thoughts that Carlson shares in his book echoes the exact challenge of Jesus in the few verses of today’s Gospel — not so much with the rest that the Lord will provide to those who seek solace in Him, but in the yoke that He will give which, as He describes, is easy and light.
       “Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Could these words of Jesus reveal why our lives are sometimes burdensome and, in the words above, stressful? Could it be because we are carrying the yokes that we are not supposed to carry, and we insist on carrying them? Might we be sweating the wrong stuff, those that are not God-given?
       Try to sort out the things that are now on your backs. Then let the words of Jesus reverberate in your mind and heart. You might be causing yourself so much pain and trouble carrying something that you are not supposed to carry — because if it is really from Jesus it should be easy. It should be light. Fr. Sandy Enhaynes
 
REFLECTION QUESTION: What stuff are you carrying during this busy season?
 
Oh dear Jesus, You know me. I need Your help to choose well what to carry. Show me the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs