Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Daily Reflections - January 31,2013

SEEKING GOD
 
I remember several years ago, I read the news that Alitalia, an Italian airline company, teamed up with the Vatican for special flights that would bring pilgrims directly to the holy sites of Jerusalem and other Marian and Eucharistic pilgrim sites in Europe. To remind the pilgrims of the holy nature of their trip, they planned to emblazon every seat of the planes with these words in Italian, Cerco il tuo volto, Signore.” It means, “I seek your face, O Lord.”
I smiled and remembered telling myself, “If I am on that plane and I read those words right in front of me, I would also pray, ‘But not yet, O Lord.’”
Humor aside, why did I instinctively want to add, “But not yet, O Lord” to the beautiful prayer, “I seek your face, O Lord”? It is because we associate seeing and experiencing God only at the moment of death, and death frightens us all.
Today’s Responsorial Psalm is a fitting reminder. It says, “Lord, this is the people that longs to see your face.” Seeing the Lord need not only be at the moment of death (just make sure it is the Lord you will meet after you die). Seeing the Lord is possible at every moment of our beating hearts. Today’s Psalm continues, “The Lord’s are the earth and its fullness, the world and those who dwell in it.” All of the created world is a reflection and sacrament of the Creator. As one can sense in a room its architect and in a masterpiece its painter, so can we sense in the world the beauty and grandeur of the Creator.
We do not really have to travel far and visit the holy sites to get a sense of the holy. Today, stop and smell the flowers, so to speak. Pause and marvel at the serenity of nature. Most of all, reverence the persons you meet — they are made in the image and likeness of God (cf Genesis 1:26). Fr. Joel Jason
 
REFLECTION QUESTION: If you say you’re too busy to even smell the flowers, then you may be too busy for the Lord.
 
Thank You, Lord, for the beauty of created nature. Most of all, thank You for creating me in Your image and likeness. Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs