Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Daily Reflections - January 17,2013


The Will-driven Life
 
When I was young, my mother had a hard time making me eat vegetables. Just like many other kids, I wanted hotdogs, fried chicken and any food of the meat variety. I never liked vegetables and fish.
Growing up, I became more conscious of what I ate. While I never really liked vegetables and fish, I willed myself to eat vegetables and fish. Today, I notice that while I don’t necessarily avoid taking meat, I find myself more inclined to order a fish meal with vegetables on the side when I eat out. And I discovered that since I willed to include fish and vegetables in my diet, I’m beginning to like them.
Today in the Gospel, we hear the leper bringing a request to Jesus: “If you will to do so, you can cure me.” Notice that the leper did not express uncertainty over the capability of Jesus to cure him. Otherwise, he would have said, “If you can do so, cure me.”
While willing and liking are related human experiences, there is a big difference between them. Willing is active; liking is passive. Willing is choosing to do something; liking is being drawn to something. Willing is purposeful; liking is capricious. And because liking is a function of the emotions, it varies from moment to moment. To will is to decide to do something regardless of the presence or absence of pleasant emotions. To like is to be drawn to action only with the presence of pleasant emotions or sensations. Can you imagine yourself being like-driven? How many times have you disliked waking from bed, going to work, preparing food for the family, or going to church? If you were like-driven, most probably you will accomplish nothing.
Achievers do not always like what they do. But they are winners because they will themselves to do it anyway. Remember the principle: Motion precedes emotion. Is there something or someone you dislike? Will it, and soon you will like it. Fr. Joel Jason
 
REFLECTION QUESTIONS: Are you capricious and whimsical in your decisions and actions? What wheels drive you? Are you will-driven or like-driven?
 
Lord, You are the source of true good. Draw my heart to You that, in all things and at all times, I may will what You please. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs