Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Daily Reflections - November 11,2012


Give Your All
 
A parish priest was trying to encourage his congregation to give out donations for their church renovation project. As the collection bag was being passed around, he made a passionate speech. “My dearly beloved, remember, God will not look at what you will put in the bag. He will look at what is left in your wallets.”
Jesus in today’s Gospel gave a tribute to the poor widow’s temple contribution: “I want you to observe that this poor widow contributed more than all the others who donated to the treasury. They gave from their surplus wealth, but she gave from her want, all she had to live on.”
All she had to live on. Yes, God demands that we give our all.
The word “all” seems to be a favorite of the Lord. In His other teachings in the Gospel, Jesus encouraged us to love God with all our hearts, all our soul and all our strength. However, I believe we should not understand “all” in a mathematical way. “All” should be understood not in the sense of arithmetic quantity but proportionate quality.
For example, I don’t believe God expects us to literally empty our wallets every time the collection bag is passed before us. I’m sure God knows that families need to set something aside for food on the table. But “all” does mean that I don’t give loose change in church while I splurge for something like vanity items and recreation.
Worshiping God with “all my heart” does not mean I spend 24 hours of my day in church, forgetting all my other responsibilities. But it does mean that church should be a priority in my activities for the day. It does mean that I put off my cell phone during Mass to block off potential distractions. It does mean I dispose myself well and consecrate that time for God.
Give your “all” to God, always. And measure your “all” not with a calculator but with your heart. Fr. Joel Jason
 
REFLECTION QUESTION: When you give, does it “hurt” you in a certain sense? If not, you may have just disposed of something you didn’t need or want after all.
 
Lord Jesus, place before me always the true measure of giving — giving without measure. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs