Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Daily Reflections - June 13, 2012


Still At Work
 
Jesus stresses the importance and strength of the commandments of God in this Gospel. If we want to be great in His Kingdom, we should do what God has commanded us to do. To break them would make us least in the same Kingdom. In Filipino we have a saying, “Itaga mo sa bato!” to signify that nothing and no one can stop us from realizing what we intend to do.
God’s Word has been fulfilled — from the invitation to Mary to become the Mother of the Son of God, to Jesus’ Incarnation, to the gathering of the Twelve Apostles, and subsequently the conversion of Saint Paul and the life of commitment by the saints and martyrs. St. Anthony of Padua, whose memorial we celebrate today, was part of this whole entourage of living witnesses to the realization of God’s Word. He was known for his eloquence, fervor and learning. In Him, the Word of God is fulfilled even just in hearing.
It is embarrassing but I have to admit that before my ordination, I doubted if I would be able to sustain my priesthood. Living a life of obedience, celibacy and simplicity is not easy especially in a very secular world. Priesthood is a life of contradiction in a world obsessed with riches, power and fame. I went through a lot of challenges and trials. There were downs, yes, but not enough for me to call it quits. Now, I am on my 19th year in the ministry and have so many responsibilities. How did this happen?
I realized it was not I but God. I learned that God, through my cooperation, has guided and supported me all these years. My constant daily “yes” to Him was enough for Him to realize His call to me. Indeed, He was true to His promise that every single word of His will be brought to fulfillment. Though He uttered, “It is finished!” while hanging on the cross, His Spirit continues to inspire everyone to witness to God’s commands. In every Eucharistic celebration, where His death on the cross continues in a bloodless manner, God works to save us — in fulfillment of His promise. Fr. Benny Tuazon
 
REFLECTION QUESTION: How is God working in your life right now? And how are you fulfilling your own commitments to Him?
 
Father in heaven, give me the grace to fulfill my commitments to You as You are faithful in Your promises to me.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs