Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Daily Reflections April 22, 2012


TOUCH ME AND SEE!
 
We Catholics live in a world of signs. Signs are basically material, ordinary things that point to spiritual and extraordinary realities. Andrew Greeley calls them all as part of the “Catholic imagination.” Objects such as statues, water, oil, bread, wine, candles, incense, and so many others, make up this rich world of sacramentality. They are accessible to touch, smell, taste and hearing. But they point to a whole new world distinct from and higher than the world we are used to.
As a little boy, I looked forward to getting sick. Funny, but I did at times want to be sick because I got special attention from my grandmother. Apart from some special treats that she would get me from the neighborhood store, the most awaited one was her caring touch. She would gently rub my head with her gnarled hands and massage my body all over.
In retrospect, I don’t know exactly at this point whether it was the Medicol (or Cortal) or the natural resiliency of a child that healed me fast enough, but I do know one thing. The healing process was hastened by the loving touch of someone who made me see not my sickness but the love that ultimately healed me of other things worse than a raging fever.
Our loving and saving God touches us in both the natural and supernatural planes. This happened when He became one like us. This still happens when we partake of this whole complex of signs that the sacraments of salvation are. We get to the level of the supernatural by passing through the world of the natural.
The Gospel passage today invites us to do what we often take for granted: to go and touch the Lord the way He wanted us to — approach the sacraments, be healed by His loving forgiveness in confession, reach out and touch Him bodily, sacramentally, spiritually and truly in the Holy Eucharist, hear His mystical Body, the Church, and rally behind Her teachings. Taste and see the goodness of the Lord. “Touch and see!” Fr. Chito Dimaranan, SDB
 
REFLECTION QUESTIONS: What is your form of connection to God? How do you feel and touch Him?
 
Lord Jesus, thank You for giving us the sacraments that allow us to reach out and feel Your care and love for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs