Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Daily Reflections April 21, 2012

DO NOT BE AFRAID!
 
I am an introvert. Introverts like me are often misunderstood and second-guessed by people. Belonging roughly to only about a third of the population, the rest of the general population may tend to look at us as antisocial, mysterious, or at least keeping too much to ourselves most times. But one thing that most people don’t know is that, apart from all these, we tend to be a little fearful of new situations, new assignments, new people to get along with, and new acquaintances to be won over.
I remember being terrified when I got my first assignment fresh out of college. What could a 21-year-old neophyte like me contribute to that place that I was sent to? The night my companions went to their respective “choice” assignments, with me left behind in what I then considered a forlorn place of exile, I cried. I was afraid of the unknown.
The disciples in today’s Gospel passage were also afraid. Seeing what appeared to them as an unnamed “ghost” drawing near, they gave in to fear. The Lord lost no time in telling them: “It is I! Do not be afraid.” He revealed Himself.
Within a few weeks, my fear in that place was replaced by a serene sense of security. I began to know the people, especially the young. They also got to know me better. My worst fears turned out to be more imagined than real. The Lord slowly revealed Himself to me in and through the goodness of people around me. Their kindness soon captivated my heart, that when it was time to leave after two wonderful years, I was again in tears.
I was again afraid of what was coming — theological studies at UST! But this time around, I was forearmed and forewarned by a most eloquent teaching from the great Pope John Paul II. At his inauguration Mass, he clinched what I had only begun to learn faintly from experience: “Do not be afraid!” In life and in death, JP II lived what he himself heard from the Lord, whom he knew intimately. “It is I. Do not be afraid.” Fr. Chito Dimaranan, SDB
 
REFLECTION QUESTION: What are your greatest fears right now? Listen to the Lord telling you, “Do not be afraid,” and trust in His abiding presence and help as you go through the unknowns in your life.
 
Lord Jesus, grant me a trusting heart as I tread unknown path

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs