Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

I am the resurrection and the life, says the Lord; whoever believes in me will never die - Daily Bible Readings November 2, 2016


1ST READING

As we remember our departed loved ones today, let us be reminded to pray and sacrifice for one another. We learn from the Scriptures about the power of penance to overcome the sin. Penance also purifies us of our past sins. But the best way to fight sin is to love more.
2 Maccabees 12:43-46 (or Wisdom 3: 1-9)
43 Judas, the ruler of Israel took up a collection among all his soldiers, amounting to two thousand silver drachmas, which he sent to Jerusalem to provide for an expiatory sacrifice. In doing this he acted in a very excellent and noble way, inasmuch as he had the resurrection of the dead in view; 44 for if he were not expecting the fallen to rise again, it would have been useless and foolish to pray for them in death. 45 But if he did this with a view to the splendid reward that awaits those who had gone to rest in godliness, it was a holy and pious thought. 46 Thus he made atonement for the dead that they might be freed from this sin.
P S A L M
Psalm 23:1-3, 3-4, 5, 6
R: The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 In verdant pastures he gives me repose. Beside restful waters he leads me; 3 he refreshes my soul. He guides me in right paths for his name’s sake. (R) 4 Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil; for you are at my side with your rod and your staff that give me courage. (R) 5 You spread the table before me in the sight of my foes; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. (R) 6 Only goodness and kindness follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord for years to come. (R)
2nd READING
Through baptism, we enter into the death of Christ and rise with Him to new life. May our beloved departed experience the fullness of the resurrection come Judgment Day. Jesus has come to redeem us and not to condemn us as we deserve. If we are truly repentant, the grace of God will lead us to our eternal reward.
Romans 6:3-9 (or Romans 5: 5-11)
3 Brothers and sisters: Are you unaware that we who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were indeed buried with him through baptism into death, so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might live in newness of life. 5 For if we have grown into union with him through a death like his, we shall also be united with him in the resurrection. 6 We know that our old self was crucified with him, so that our sinful body might be done away with, that we might no longer be in slavery to sin. 7 For a dead person has been absolved from sin. 8 If, then, we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him. 9 We know that Christ, raised from the dead, dies no more; death no longer has power over him.
GOSPEL
Martha trusted Jesus to raise Lazarus from death. Let us lay aside our doubts and fears about death. We believe Jesus has secured our victory over death through His resurrection.
GOSPEL ACCLAMATION
I am the resurrection and the life, says the Lord; whoever believes in me will never die.
John 11:21-27 (or John 6: 37-40 or Matthew 5:1-12)
21 Martha said to Jesus, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died. 22 But even now I know that whatever you ask of God, God will give you.” 23 Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise.” 24 Martha said to him, “I know he will rise, in the resurrection on the last day.” 25 Jesus told her, “I am the resurrection and the life; whoever believes in me, even if he dies, will live, 26 and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?” 27 She said to him, “Yes, Lord. I have come to believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, the one who is coming into the world.”

think: Jesus has come to redeem us and not to condemn us as we deserve.
T O D A Y’S BLESSING LIST
Thank You Lord for: __________________
____________________________________
God’s special verse/thought for me today_
_____________________________________
READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR  Job 38-42

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs