Pages

Monday, March 14, 2016

I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked man, says the Lord, but rather in his conversion, that he may live - Daily Bible Readings March 14,2016


1ST READING
 
 
Daniel saves an innocent woman from the conspiracy of two evil men. He devises a way to show the leaders of the people that the men are lying in their accusation of her. Daniel saves her life. We have the same power available to us in the Gospel. When we proclaim the Gospel, we offer people the gift of eternal life. Let us be excited about the privilege of living and sharing the Gospel with others.
 
Daniel 13:41-62 (or Daniel 13:1-9, 15-17, 19-30, 33-62)
41 [Dan 13:41] The assembly condemned Susana to death. 42 [Dan 13:42] But Susanna cried aloud: “O eternal God, you know what is hidden and are aware of all things before they come to be: 43 [Dan 13:43] you know that they have testified falsely against me. Here I am about to die, though I have done none of the things with which these wicked men have charged me.” 44 [Dan 13:44] The Lord heard her prayer. 45 [Dan 13:45] As she was being led to execution, God stirred up the holy spirit of a young boy named Daniel, 46 [Dan 13:46] and he cried aloud: “I will have no part in the death of this woman.” 47 [Dan13:47] All the people turned and asked him, “What is this you are saying?” 48 [Dan13:48] He stood in their midst and continued, “Are you such fools, O children of Israel! To condemn a woman of Israel without examination and without clear evidence? 49 [Dan 13:49] Return to court, for they have testified falsely against her.” 50 [Dan 13:50] Then all the people returned in haste. To Daniel the elders said, “Come, sit with us and inform us, since God has given you the prestige of old age.” 51 [Dan13:51] But he replied, “Separate these two far from each other that I may examine them.” 52 [Dan 13:52] After they were separated one from the other, he called one of them and said: “How you have grown evil with age! Now have your past sins come to term: 53[Dan13:53] passing unjust sentences, condemning the innocent, and freeing the guilty, although the Lord says, ‘The innocent and the just you shall not put to death.’ 54[Dan13:54] Now, then, if you were a witness, tell me under what tree you saw them together.” 55 [Dan 13:55] “Under a mastic tree,” he answered. Daniel replied, “Your fine lie has cost you your head, for the angel of God shall receive the sentence from him and split you in two.” 56 [Dan 13:56] Putting him to one side, he ordered the other one to be brought. Daniel said to him, “Offspring of Canaan, not of Judah, beauty has seduced you, lust has subverted your conscience. 57 [Dan 13:57] This is how you acted with the daughters of Israel, and in their fear they yielded to you; but a daughter of Judah did not tolerate your wickedness. 58[Dan13:58] Now, then, tell me under what tree you surprised them together.” 59[Dan13:59] “Under an oak,” he said. Daniel replied, “Your fine lie has cost you also your head, for the angel of God waits with a sword to cut you in two so as to make an end of you both.” 60 [Dan 13:60] The whole assembly cried aloud, blessing God who saves those who hope in him. 61[Dan 13:61] They rose up against the two elders, for by their own words Daniel had convicted them of perjury. According to the law of Moses, they inflicted on them the penalty they had plotted to impose on their neighbor: 62 [Dan 13:62] they put them to death. Thus was innocent blood spared that day.
 
P S A L M
 
Psalm 23:1-3, 3-4, 5, 6
R: Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil; for you are at my side.
1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 In verdant pastures he gives me repose; beside restful waters he leads me; 3 he refreshes my soul. (R) He guides me in right paths for his name’s sake. 4 Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil; for you are at my side with your rod and your staff that give me courage. (R) 5 You spread the table before me in the sight of my foes; You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. (R) 6 Only goodness and kindness follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord for years to come. (R)
 
GOSPEL
 
 
Jesus is not interested in condemning people. He wants us to repent and change our ways. The woman caught in the act of adultery is supposed to be stoned according to the Law. The Gospel of Jesus calls us to leave aside the letter of the law and show mercy to others. God is always ready to forgive our sins; we should also be willing to forgive those who sin against us.
 
GOSPEL ACCLAMATION
I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked man, says the Lord, but rather in his conversion, that he may live.
 
John 8:12-20
12 Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” 13 So the Pharisees said to him, “You testify on your own behalf, so your testimony cannot be verified.” 14 Jesus answered and said to them, “Even if I do testify on my own behalf, my testimony can be verified, because I know where I came from and where I am going. But you do not know where I come from or where I am going. 15 You judge by appearances, but I do not judge anyone. 16 And even if I should judge, my judgment is valid, because I am not alone, but it is I and the Father who sent me. 17 Even in your law it is written that the testimony of two men can be verified. 18 I testify on my behalf and so does the Father who sent me.” 19 So they said to him, “Where is your father?” Jesus 198 answered, “You know neither me nor my Father. If you knew me, you would know my Father also.” 20 He spoke these words while teaching in the treasury in the temple area. But no one arrested him, because his hour had not yet come.
 
think: God is always ready to forgive our sins; we should also be willing to forgive those who sin against us.
 
 
T O D A Y’S BLESSING LIST
Thank You Lord for: __________________
 
____________________________________
 
God’s special verse/thought for me today_
_____________________________________
 
 READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Genesis 16-18 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs