Pages

Monday, June 29, 2015

You are Peter and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it - Daily Bible Readings June 29,2015

1ST READING
 
Peter was the first to minister to the Gentiles. Why? Luke wanted such a ministry to be endorsed by the accepted overall authority in the Early Church — Peter. Once Peter has sanctioned this ministry, then Paul will be able to continue it in the manner with which we are familiar. Luke wanted the developments in the ministry of the Church and its life to have a legitimate basis. Peter’s participation established this.
 
Acts 12:1-11
1In those days, King Herod laid hands upon some members of the church to harm them. 2He had James, the brother of John, killed by the sword, and when he saw that this was pleasing to the Jews he proceeded to arrest Peter also. — It was the feast of Unleavened Bread. — 4He had him taken into custody and put in prison under the guard of four squads of four soldiers each. He intended to bring him before the people after Passover. 5Peter thus was being kept in prison, but prayer by the church was fervently being made to God on his behalf. 6On the very night before Herod was to bring him to trial, Peter, secured by double chains, was sleeping between two soldiers, while outside the door guards kept watch on the prison. 7Suddenly the angel of the Lord stood by him and a light shone in the cell. He tapped Peter on the side and awakened him, saying, “Get up quickly.” The chains fell from his wrists. 8The angel said to him, “Put on your belt and your sandals.” He did so. Then he said to him, “Put on your cloak and follow me.” 9So he followed him out, not realizing that what was happening through the angel was real; he thought he was seeing a vision. 10They passed the first guard, then the second, and came to the iron gate leading out to the city, which opened for them by itself. They emerged and made their way down an alley, and suddenly the angel left him. 11Then Peter recovered his senses and said, “Now I know for certain that the Lord sent his angel and rescued me from the hand of Herod and from all that the Jewish people were expecting.
 
P S A L M
 
Psalm 34:2-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8-9
R: The Lord delivered me from all my fears.
1 [2] I will bless the Lord at all times; his praise shall be ever in my mouth. 2 [3] Let my soul glory in the Lord; the lowly will hear me and be glad. (R) 3 [4] Glorify the Lord with me, let us together extol his name. 4 [5] I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. (R) 5 [6] Look to him that you may be radiant with joy, and your faces may not blush with shame. 6 [7] When the poor one called out, the Lord heard, and from all his distress he saved him. (R) 7 [8] The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and delivers them. 8 [9] Taste and see how good the Lord is; blessed the man who takes refuge in him. (R)
 
2ND READING
 
Paul gives his entire life to the service of the Gospel. Let us do the same. Let us never tire of serving and persevere in the face of difficulties and trials. Let us stand by the truth of God’s love for all people and bring this truth to all men and women through the witness of our lives.
 
2 Timothy 4:6-8, 17-18
6 I, Paul, am already being poured out like a libation, and the time of my departure is at hand. 7 I have competed well; I have finished the race; I have kept the faith. 8 From now on the crown of righteousness awaits me, which the Lord, the just judge, will award to me on that day, and not only to me, but to all who have longed for his appearance. 17 The Lord stood by me and gave me strength, so that through me the proclamation might be completed and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was rescued from the lion’s mouth. 18 The Lord will rescue me from every evil threat and will bring me safe to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory forever and ever. Amen.
 
 
GOSPEL
 
The Church was built upon Peter’s imperfect faith. While Jesus is the foundation of the Church, it is through faith that we contribute to the work of the Church. We have our faults and failures, just like Peter did. However, God chose us, imperfect though we are, to manifest the truth of salvation to the world. Let us obey His will as best as we can.
 
GOSPEL ACCLAMATION
You are Peter and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.
 
Matthew 16:13-19
13 When Jesus went into the region of Caesarea Philippi he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” 14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist, others Elijah, still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” 15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 16 Simon Peter said in reply, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 17 Jesus said to him in reply, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. 18 And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”
 
think: Let us never tire of serving and persevere in the face of difficulties and trials.
 
T O D A Y’S BLESSING LIST
Thank You Lord for: __________________
 
____________________________________
 
God’s special verse/thought for me today_
_____________________________________
 
READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR 2 Chronicles 4-6
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs