Pages

Thursday, May 7, 2015

My sheep hear my voice, says the Lord; I know them, and they follow me - Daily Bible Readings May 7,2015

1ST READING
 
Peter, the leader of the Church, called Paul and Barnabas to share about their ministry to the Gentiles. Paul wins the day with his presentation, though there seems to be a discrepancy as to whether some of the dietary restrictions, which have roots in fundamental hygiene more than anything else, remain. We can sort out differences of opinion if we remain calm and sensible. There will be many examples in the centuries to come when these conditions are not maintained and cause a rift among the people.
 
Acts 15:7-21
7 After much debate had taken place, Peter got up and said to the Apostles and presbyters, “My brothers, you are well aware that from early days God made his choice among you that through my mouth the Gentiles would hear the word of the Gospel and believe. 8 And God, who knows the heart, bore witness by granting them the Holy Spirit just as he did us. 9 He made no distinction between us and them, for by faith he purified their hearts. 10 Why, then, are you now putting God to the test by placing on the shoulders of the disciples a yoke that neither our ancestors nor we have been able to bear? 11 On the contrary, we believe that we are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, in the same way as they.” 12 The whole assembly fell silent, and they listened while Paul and Barnabas described the signs and wonders God had worked among the Gentiles through them. 13 After they had fallen silent, James responded, “My brothers, listen to me. 14 Symeon has described how God first concerned himself with acquiring from among the Gentiles a people for his name. 15 The words of the prophets agree with this, as is written: 16 After this I shall return and rebuild the fallen hut of David; from its ruins I shall rebuild it and raise it up again, 17 so that the rest of humanity may seek out the Lord, even all the Gentiles on whom my name is invoked. Thus says the Lord who accomplishes these things, 18 known from of old. 19 It is my judgment, therefore, that we ought to stop troubling the Gentiles who turn to God, 20 but tell them by letter to avoid pollution from idols, unlawful marriage, the meat of strangled animals, and blood. 21 For Moses, for generations now, has had those who proclaim him in every town, as he has been read in the synagogues every sabbath.”
 
P S A L M
 
Psalm 96:1-2, 2-3, 10
R: Proclaim God’s marvelous deeds to all the nations.
1 Sing to the Lord a new song; sing to the Lord, all you lands. 2 Sing to the Lord; bless his name. (R) Announce his salvation, day after day. 3 Tell his glory among the nations; among all peoples, his wondrous deeds. (R) 10 Say among the nations: the Lord is king. He has made the world firm, not to be moved; he governs the peoples with equity. (R)
 
 
GOSPEL
 
 
Jesus commands us to remain in His love. Love takes many forms, so we should be ready to go the extra mile with those who frustrate us, forgive those who hurt us, and work together with those who agree with us. Love will challenge us from time to time. With Jesus to help us, we will be able to persevere through them.
 
GOSPEL ACCLAMATION
My sheep hear my voice, says the Lord; I know them, and they follow me.
 
John 15:9-11
9 Jesus said to his disciples: “As the Father loves me, so I also love you. Remain in my love. 10 If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and remain in his love. 11 “I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and your joy may be complete.”
 
think: Jesus commands us to remain in His love.
 
T O D A Y’S BLESSING LIST
Thank You Lord for: __________________
 
____________________________________
 
God’s special verse/thought for me today_
_____________________________________
 
READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Joshua 5-8
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs