Pages

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

This Lent, do not just give up something. Give it up for someone - Daily Reflections February 18, 2015


THE FASTING THAT COUNTS
 
Allow me to share with you a message my friend posted on Facebook some time ago. It was for his daughter on her 25th birthday. But for the purpose of privacy, I will leave out their names. Here it is:
       Today, I celebrate a quarter of a century of clean lungs.
       When my eldest daughter was born exactly 25 years ago, I knew it was time to stub out my last cigarette and keep myself alive and healthy so I can be a good father to her for many years. I thank her for this gift, and I thank God and everyone who was supportive of my smoking cessation, making my continued healthy existence possible.
       Happy Birthday!
       My friend has been smoke-free for 25 years. He kicked the habit not for his own sake. He avoided it for the love of his daughter. I find that very meaningful. I have a lot of friends who swear that kicking that habit is the most difficult thing to do. But I guess when you have a motivation that is greater than yourself, it becomes easier.
       It is Ash Wednesday once again. We enter the season of Lent — 40 days of intense penance and sacrifice in preparation for Holy Week. We sacrifice not for sacrifice’s sake. The suffering and pain that accompany our sacrifices do not make our sacrifices holy. What makes them holy is the love that motivates them — like the willingness of a father to deny himself of a beloved addiction so as to be alive and healthy for his daughter.
       Are you planning to make some sacrifices and penance this Lent? Remember to put love at the heart of those penances. Our God is not a sadist. Pain for pain’s sake does not please Him. But pain borne out of love does. For when suffering is borne out of love, we become more like Him. Fr. Joel Jason
 
REFLECTION QUESTION: This Lent, do not just give up something. Give it up for someone.
 
“Rend your hearts, not your garments, and return to the Lord your God.” Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs