Pages

Monday, December 22, 2014

O King of all nations and keystone of the Church: come and save man, whom you formed from the dust! - Daily Bible Readings December 22,2014


1ST READING
 
Some of the stories in the Scriptures and those associated with the lives of the saints seem too extreme to be true. Hannah, after praying for years for a child and finally having that prayer answered, is willing to give up her child to the service of the Temple even when he is still a mere boy. Her faith in God, to say nothing of her gratitude, must have been enormous.
 
1 Samuel 1:24-28
24 In those days, Hannah brought Samuel with her, along with a three-year-old bull, an ephah of flour, and a skin of wine, and presented him at the temple of the Lord in Shiloh. 25 After the boy’s father had sacrificed the young bull, Hannah, his mother, approached Eli 26 and said: “Pardon, my Lord! As you live my Lord, I am the woman who stood near you here, praying to the Lord. 27 I prayed for this child, and the Lord granted my request. 28 Now I, in turn, give him to the Lord; as long as he lives, he shall be dedicated to the Lord.” She left Samuel there.
 
P S A L M
 
1 1 Samuel 2:1, 4-5, 6-7, 8
R: My heart exults in the Lord, my Savior.
1 “My heart exults in the Lord, my horn is exalted in my God. I have swallowed up my enemies; I rejoice in my victory. (R) 4 The bows of the mighty are broken, while the tottering gird on strength. 5 The well-fed hire themselves out for bread, while the hungry batten on spoil. The barren wife bears seven sons, while the mother of many languishes. (R) 6 The Lord puts to death and gives life; he casts down to the nether world; he raises up again. 7 The Lord makes poor and makes rich, he humbles, he also exalts. (R) 8 He raises the needy from the dust; from the dung heap he lifts up the poor, to seat them with nobles and make a glorious throne their heritage.” (R)
 
GOSPEL
 
Mary’s prayer is a prayer of blessing and at the same time a reminder of some of the principles of social justice. She reminds the rich to be wary of their riches lest they be led astray, only to discover they mean nothing in the end. In fact, they may even be excluded from final salvation if they do not use their wealth well.
 
GOSPEL ACCLAMATION
O King of all nations and keystone of the Church: come and save man, whom you formed from the dust!
 
Luke 1:46-56
46 Mary said: “My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; 47 my spirit rejoices in God my savior. 48 For he has looked upon his lowly servant. From this day all generations will call me blessed. 49 The Almighty has done great things for me, and holy is his Name. 50 He has mercy on those who fear him in every generation. 51 He has shown the strength of his arm, and has scattered the proud in their conceit. 52 He has cast down the mighty from their thrones and has lifted up the lowly. 53 He has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich he has sent away empty. 54 He has come to the help of his servant Israel for he remembered his promise of mercy, 55 the promise he made to our fathers, to Abraham and his children for ever.” 56 Mary remained with Elizabeth about three months and then returned to her home.
 
think:  Like Hannah and Mary, let us have faith in God and show our gratitude for all that He has done for us.
 
 
T O D A Y’S BLESSING LIST
Thank You Lord for: __________________
 
____________________________________
 
God’s special verse/thought for me today_
_____________________________________
 
READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Micah 4-7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs