Pages

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Are there persons in your life whom you want to thank God for? If they’re still around, thank them personally or write them a letter - Daily Reflections October 31,2014

CHRISTIAN GRATITUDE
 
The Philippians were very close to Paul, close enough for them to send him money and tangible help on occasions of need. Paul thanks God for them, and what he refers to as their “partnership for the Gospel.” That partnership was attained through their monetary support, and their suffering for the Gospel, as Paul himself would say elsewhere in his warm letter.
       Having been a priest for a long time, I can identify with Paul’s profuse thanksgiving and joy at the thought of his friends and followers who allowed themselves to become conduits of God’s providential care and love for him. I, too, have often been the recipient of similar generosity of so many people. As a young priest, I still remember with fondness and joy those who gave what were then considered “essentials” for a neophyte priest. Friends, relatives, acquaintances and even total strangers gave me books, chasubles, chalices, a Mass kit, blessing kit, even a portable typewriter!
       I was grateful then to all my friends and generous donors, but the thought of Paul now writing warmly to the Philippians, who had been more than just good to him, got me into reflection mode. Was I grateful enough? Did I express my gratitude in a properly Christian way? Did I know how to give credit to whom credit was really due? Most important of all, did I really put to right use whatever I received from others? In other words, were those gifts really put to good use, as intended by my donors? We priests are privileged to receive so much of that love from generous people.
       What does it mean to be authentically grateful in a Christian way? My thoughts race back to a line from an old book of Louis Evely that I read many years ago: “If you have nothing to thank God for, there is nothing Christian in you.”
       Paul was grateful to everyone but to God above all! And though it sounds a little too late, I would like to tell every single one of my donors: “I give thanks to God at every remembrance of you.” Fr. Chito Dimaranan, SDB
 
REFLECTION QUESTION: Are there persons in your life whom you want to thank God for? If they’re still around, thank them personally or write them a letter.
 
I give thanks, Lord, for ___________ (state here the names of the persons you want to thank God for). Bless them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs