Pages

Thursday, October 2, 2014

The Kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the Gospel - Daily Bible Readings October 2,2014

1ST READING
 
There are as many traditions and stories about the role of guardian angels as there are people you will talk to about them. What is important is that we believe that God does not abandon us without providing a companion who will help us on our way. Guardian angels are traditionally known as protectors. Obviously, they are not foolproof as, if we decide to jump in front of a train, it is unlikely they are going to save us.
 
Exodus 23:20-23 (or Job 19:21-27)
20 Thus says the Lord: “See, I am sending an angel before you, to guard you on the way and bring you to the place I have prepared. 21 Be attentive to him and heed his voice. Do not rebel against him, for he will not forgive your sin. My authority resides in him. 22 If you heed his voice and carry out all I tell you, I will be an enemy to your enemies and a foe to your foes. 23 My angel will go before you and bring you to the Amorites, Hittites, Perizzites, Canaanites, Hivites and Jebusites; and I will wipe them out.”
 
P S A L M
 
Psalm 91: 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 10-11 (or Psalm 27:7-8, 8-9, 13-14)
R: The Lord has put angels in charge of you, to guard you in all your ways. 1 You who dwell in the shelter of the Most High, who abide in the shadow of the Almighty, 2 Say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” (R) 3 For he will rescue you from the snare of the fowler, from the destroying pestilence. 4 With his pinions he will cover you, and under his wings you shall take refuge. (R) His faithfulness is a buckler and a shield. 5 You shall not fear the terror of the night nor the arrow that flies by day; 6 not the pestilence that roams in darkness nor the devastating plague at noon. (R) 10 No evil shall befall you, nor shall affliction come near your tent, 11 for to his angels he has given command about you, that they guard you in all your ways. (R)
 
GOSPEL
 
This text has traditionally been used to support the idea of each person having a Guardian angel. I like the idea of God caring for us to the extent that He gives us an angel to protect us. It certainly gives me encouragement to believe that I am never alone in my journey, no matter how I might feel at any particular time.
 
GOSPEL ACCLAMATION
The Kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the Gospel.
 
Matthew 18:1-5, 10 (or Luke 10:1-12)
1 The disciples approached Jesus and said, “Who is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven?” 2 He called a child over, placed it in their midst, 3 and said, “Amen, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will not enter the Kingdom of heaven. 4 Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven. 5 And whoever receives one child such as this in my name receives me. 10 See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven always look upon the face of my heavenly Father.”

think: God does not abandon us without providing a companion to help us on our way.
 
T O D A Y’S BLESSING LIST
Thank You Lord for: __________________
 
____________________________________
 
God’s special verse/thought for me today_
_____________________________________
 
READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Proverbs 28-31
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs