Pages

Monday, September 15, 2014

Blessed are you, O Virgin Mary; without dying you won the martyr’s crown beneath the Cross of the Lord - Daily Bible Readings September 15,2014


1ST READING
 
Today we celebrate the memorial of Our Lady of Sorrows. This is not meant to lead us into despair because of the suffering caused by our sin, but to remind us that when we embrace suffering in our lives it can become redemptive. Let us never allow despair to enter our hearts. It is imperative that we remain positive in our suffering as Mary does.
 
1 Corinthians 11:17-26, 33 (or Hebrews 5:7-9)
17 Brothers and sisters: In giving this instruction, I do not praise the fact that your meetings are doing more harm than good. 18 First of all, I hear that when you meet as a church there are divisions among you, and to a degree I believe it; 19 there have to be factions among you in order that also those who are approved among you may become known. 20 When you meet in one place, then, it is not to eat the Lord’s supper, 21 for in eating, each one goes ahead with his own supper, and one goes hungry while another gets drunk. 22 Do you not have houses in which you can eat and drink? Or do you show contempt for the church of God and make those who have nothing feel ashamed? What can I say to you? Shall I praise you? In this matter I do not praise you. 23 For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus, on the night he was handed over, took bread, 24 and, after he had given thanks, broke it and said, “This is my Body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” 25 In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my Blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes. 33 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, when you come together to eat, wait for one another.
 
P S A L M
 
Psalm 40:7-8, 8-9, 10, 17 (or Psalm 31:2, 3, 3-4, 5-6, 15-16, 20)
R: Proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes again.
6 [7] Sacrifice or oblation you wished not, but ears open to obedience you gave me. Burnt offerings or sin-offerings you sought not; 7 [8] then said I, “Behold I come. (R) In the written scroll it is prescribed for me, 8 [9] to do your will, O my God, is my delight, and your law is within my heart!” (R) 9 [10] I announced your justice in the vast assembly; I did not restrain my lips, as you, O Lord, know. (R) 16 [17] May all who seek you exult and be glad in you and may those who love your salvation say ever, “The Lord be glorified.” (R)
 
GOSPEL
 
I sometimes wonder what went through the heart and mind of Mary as she stood at the foot of the cross and gazed upon her Son. We know she did not despair. Did she realize that the cross of her Son was the means of
redemption for the world?
 
GOSPEL ACCLAMATION
Blessed are you, O Virgin Mary; without dying you won the martyr’s crown beneath the Cross of the Lord.
 
John 19:25-27 (or Luke 2:33-35 or Luke 7:1-10)
25 Standing by the cross of Jesus were his mother and his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary of Magdalene. 26 When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple there whom he loved, he said to his mother, “Woman, behold, your son.” 27 Then he said to the disciple, “Behold, your mother.” And from that hour the disciple took her into his home.

think:  The memorial of Our Lady of Sorrows reminds us that when we embrace suffering in our lives, it can become redemptive.
 
T O D A Y’S BLESSING LIST
Thank You Lord for: __________________
 
____________________________________
 
God’s special verse/thought for me today_
_____________________________________
 
READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Psalm 105-110
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs