Pages

Monday, July 21, 2014

In what ways do you think you are testing Jesus’ patience? - Daily Reflections July 21,2014


TESTING JESUS’ PATIENCE
 
Most, if not all of us, experience being pushed to our limits, especially when it comes to our patience. At some point in our lives, we reach the boiling point and almost always we end up dismayed and blowing our top. That is the situation expressed by the prophet Micah in our First Reading today. The Lord makes an impassioned plea to Israel: “O my people, what have I done to you, or how have I wearied you? Answer me!”
       A similar exasperation is also found in Jesus in today’s Gospel. Some scribes and Pharisees ask Him for a sign to validate His preaching. He replies to them, “An evil and unfaithful generation seeks a sign, but no sign will be given it except the sign of Jonah the prophet.”
       In an effort to assuage the Lord for the dismay the Israelites have caused Him, they ask, “With what shall I come before the Lord, and bow before God most high? Shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves a year old? Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams, with myriad streams of oil? Shall I give my first-born for my crime, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?”
       God’s answer is very compelling. “You have been told, O man, what is good, and what the Lord requires of you: Only to do right and to love goodness, and to walk humbly with your God.”
       Jesus echoes the same thought. By citing examples from Israel’s past, He pleads for a greater faith and acceptance, for more openness and humility, for greater righteousness and moral consistency. People before have responded positively to the preaching of Jonah and to the wisdom of Solomon; why do they now respond negatively to Him who is greater than either Solomon or Jonah?
       Hopefully we won’t push Jesus to His limit or make Him blow His top. Fr. Martin Macasaet, SDB
 
REFLECTION QUESTION: In what ways do you think you are testing Jesus’ patience?
 
Lord, forgive me for the times I have tested Your patience — in how I pray, in how I sin again and again, in how I run away from You.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs