Pages

Friday, April 18, 2014

As a Christian, how ready are you to follow the Way of the Cross of Jesus: a readiness to be crushed, so that greater good for many may come out? - Daily Reflections April 18,2014

GOOD!
 
Whenever I had my regular confessions at the Baclaran Church, I loved to line up at the box where Fr. Talty, an elderly Redemptorist priest, would be stationed. One would know in which confessional box he would be in by just looking at the length of the line of penitents before it. His box would have the longest line of penitents.
       I used to wonder what made people wait in a long line at his confessional box. I think I discovered it when I finally decided to try going to him as my confessor during my seminary years. Fr. Talty was short, white-haired and balding, and he would always be in his white Redemptorist religious habit. He was fatherly in his language, would take time to listen, and would give short but very cutting and practical exhortations to the penitent. But what I found very striking was this: after every kind and number of sin and wrongdoing that I mentioned, whatever the nature and gravity of the fault, the patient confessor would always say, “Good... Good... Good.” It made me feel light and peaceful. And Fr. Talty, I believe, said “Good,” not in approval of the sin but in deep thanksgiving for the grace of God deeply working in the heart and soul of the penitent.
       Today, amidst the commemoration of that most terrible mistrial, pain and death that Jesus underwent, we say it is “Good Friday.” We rejoice not at the death of an innocent man, who is the Messiah and the Son of God. We rejoice and say “Good” for in this great offering and sacrifice of majesty and of life, sin is conquered, evil is derided and thrown out, and God’s reign of truth over humanity is declared. The Passion Narrative according to John, the one that is read out in churches today, even tells us that in His suffering and death on the Cross, Jesus gave us a treasured “going-away” gift — the motherhood of Mary. Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP
 
REFLECTION QUESTION: As a Christian, how ready are you to follow the Way of the Cross of Jesus: a readiness to be crushed, so that greater good for many may come out?
 
Grant me the courage, Lord, to follow Your Way of the Cross, whatever it may take.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs