Pages

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Do you cooperate with God as He works on you? - Daily Reflections February 18,2014


TO LOVE BACK AND FORWARD
 
The readings today suddenly reminded me of the small group of graduating students for whom I once celebrated Mass. While waiting for the Mass to start, I heard them practicing their batch song. I cannot remember the title of the song they were singing, but I vividly recall the line which struck me as much as I think the students were: “I have to wait and see because He is not finished with me yet.” As young people, that reassurance was everything they needed: that even in their youth, they can already hope for something greater than themselves, with Jesus as their inspiration and their source of hope.
       Because I saw what they were doing before the Mass, I was moved to share with them my vulnerability, hoping for them to learn from their shortcomings, from their mistakes and from their temptations and, more importantly, to celebrate their joys, their accomplishments, and their triumphs to overcome these temptations early in their life.
       I had been tempted many times, especially when I was young like them. But thanks to the people around me, who never failed to show their love, I learned that I need only to remember that I am tempted because God is purifying me, and that serves as my penance to dampen my pride.
       I have likewise disappointed people, even those who are rooting for me. I have failed them, caused them unnecessary anxiety and stress, and I sometimes feel unworthy of their love. But the Lord sends them to me to teach me valuable lessons in love, gratefulness and honor.
       I remember telling the students that I am a work in progress, as we all are. The Lord is up to something great. We just have to wait and see. The Lord is not finished with us yet. For now, we can be assured that God loves us and we can love back. You read it right — it is not “We can love Him back.” The invitation for us is to love back by loving forward — to be a witness of God’s love to others. Fr. Erick Y. Santos, OFS
 
REFLECTION QUESTION: Do you cooperate with God as He works on you?
 
Lord Jesus, let me be a witness of Your love to others.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs