Pages

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Are you ready to do whatever the Lord wills? - Daily Reflections February 26,2014


HE WILLS
 
In high school, groups of seminarians would go to our school to conduct vocation campaigns and awareness seminars. But I particularly remember the leaders of Youth Marian Crusade, especially Aloy Aliño (now a priest of the Diocese of Cubao) who quoted today’s First Reading: “You have no idea what your life will be like tomorrow. Instead, say, ‘If the Lord wills it.’”
       It lingered with me for some time but made a shallow impact on me then, until Jesus manifested His personal call to me to the priesthood. At that time, when I was seriously considering priesthood, it was clear to me that I wanted to be a missionary, without fully realizing what it meant or what it would require. Growing up, I had a fascination to be in mission. I enjoyed participating in immersion and outreach programs. I was attracted to the immense possibility of the world outside my comfort zone.
       I eventually entered the Our Lady of the Angels Franciscan Seminary where, inspired by the missionary heart of St. Francis and his followers, I was introduced to the fascinating challenge of foreign missions.
       But the Lord had another plan. I did not become a missionary in a foreign land. Instead, my assignments as a priest were in Pasig, Malabon, and eventually in Tondo, where I was pastor of different parishes for almost 19 years. I had no idea how I would turn out; I only knew that whoever and whatever I am today, it is because of the Lord. Because He willed it. He wills it.
       Looking back, most people who knew me then said that my decision to enter the seminary was radical. I thought so, too. In fact, I considered myself anything but priestly. But that is precisely how Jesus called His first disciples. He chose, and made them worthy, no matter how radical it all seemed. And like how I was inspired years ago to take the first step to respond to His call to the priesthood, may I also be a testimony to others, now as a priest, in following Him concretely through active witnessing to His love — to always be for Him, and Him alone. Fr. Erick Y. Santos, OFS
 
REFLECTION QUESTION: Are you ready to do whatever the Lord wills?
 
Lord Jesus, may I always be ready to obey Your will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs