Pages

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Do you use medals, amulets and scapulars in a superstitious way? - Daily Reflections January 16,2014


TRUE RELIGION AND SUPERSTITION
 
The First Reading today brings us right in the middle of an age-old conflict that continues until today, the conflict between the Israelites (now Israelis) and the Philistines (now Palestinians). The Israelites, we read, had been defeated in a battle and thought they would surely win a great victory if they would bring the Ark of the Covenant into the next battle. After all, the Ark was considered to be the throne of God, and by bringing Him into the battle, victory was certain. Or so they thought.
       What happened? Not only were they defeated again, but the Ark was even carried away by the Philistines! What went wrong? One, they thought that since God had supported them always, He would do so again. They did not ask what went wrong in their relationship with God. Second, they thought that the Ark, fashioned by Moses, would guarantee them victory.
       What they missed was to ask themselves why God had turned away from them. If they had, they would have found out that they were the ones who had turned away from God and transformed their religion into empty ritualism. If God granted us favors in the past, we should never think He would do so automatically in the future.
       And then there is the problem of superstition, which is contrary to true religion. What is superstition? It is, among others, the belief that if I use the right amulets and correct rituals, God will do what I want Him to do.
       There is nothing wrong with wearing medals and crosses or having a rosary in the car. But if I think that that alone will keep me safe from accidents, I am wrong. Our Lady has promised that whoever wears the  brown scapular will be saved. But if I wear it and go on sinning, thinking I am safe, I might be in for a bad surprise at the end of my life. Scapulars, medals, rosaries and other religious articles are but reminders of God’s nearness and desire to save me but they do not guarantee my salvation if I continue to live a godless life. Fr. Rudy Horst, SVD
 
REFLECTION QUESTION: Do you use medals, amulets and scapulars in a superstitious way?
 
Lord, thank You for making me see that external articles serve only as reminders of You, and that I have to, first and foremost, live according to Your will.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs