Pages

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Blessed are those who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven - Daily Bible Readings August 29,2013


1ST READING
 
Jeremiah, like many of the prophets, is a reluctant prophet. He realizes the incredible responsibility of speaking for God and directing the people of God according to His will. He knows that a lot of suffering will be involved, thus we can be sure that he is truly committed to all that he says.
 
Jeremiah 1:17-19 (or 1 Thessalonians 3:7-13)
17 The word of the Lord came to me thus: Gird your loins; stand up and tell them all that I command you. Be not crushed on their account, as though I would leave you crushed before them; 18 for it is I this day who have made you a fortified city, a pillar of iron, a wall of brass, against the whole land: Against Judah’s kings and princes, against its priests and people. 19 They will fight against you, but not prevail over you, for I am with you to deliver you, says the Lord.
 
P S A L M
 
Psalm 71:1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 15, 17 (or Psalm 90:3-5, 12-13, 14, 17)
R: I will sing your salvation.
1 In you, O Lord, I take refuge; let me never be put to shame. 2 In your justice rescue me, and deliver me; incline your ear to me, and save me. (R) 3 Be my rock of refuge, a stronghold to give me safety, for you are my rock and my fortress. 4 O my God, rescue me from the hand of the wicked. (R) 5 For you are my hope, O Lord; my trust, O God, from my youth. 6 On you I depend from birth; from my mother’s womb you are my strength. (R) 15 My mouth shall declare your justice, day by day your salvation. 17 O God, you have taught me from my youth, and till the present I proclaim your wondrous deeds. (R)
 
GOSPEL
 
 
Herod is a coward and unwilling to follow his conscience. He is also a fool to make a promise as ridiculous as the one he made to the daughter of Herodias. We will be able to avoid many problems in life if we follow our consciences and think before we speak. Words are very powerful and have a way of creating situations out of very little. We should be careful with what we say, lest we come to regret a few rash words spoken with little thought.
 
GOSPEL ACCLAMATION
Blessed are those who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.
 
Mark 6:17-29 (or Matthew 24:42-51)
17 Herod was the one who had John the Baptist arrested and bound in prison on account of Herodias, the wife of his brother Philip, whom he had married. 18 John had said to Herod, “It is not lawful for you to have your brother’s wife.” 19 Herodias harbored a grudge against him and wanted to kill him but was unable to do so. 20 Herod feared John, knowing him to be a righteous and holy man, and kept him in custody. When he heard him speak he was very much perplexed, yet he liked to listen to him. 21 She had an opportunity one day when Herod, on his birthday, gave a banquet for his courtiers, his military officers, and the leading men of Galilee. 22 Herodias’s own daughter came in and performed a dance that delighted Herod and his guests. The king said to the girl, “Ask of me whatever you wish and I will grant it to you.” 23 He even swore many things to her, “I will grant you whatever you ask of me, even to half of my kingdom.” 24 She went out and said to her mother, “What shall I ask for?” She replied, “The head of John the Baptist.” 25 The girl hurried back to the king’s presence and made her request, “I want you to give me at once on a platter the head of John the Baptist.” 26 The king was deeply distressed, but because of his oaths and the guests he did not wish to break his word to her. 27 So he promptly dispatched an executioner with orders to bring back his head. He went off and beheaded him in the prison. 28 He brought in the head on a platter and gave it to the girl. The girl in turn gave it to her mother. 29 When his disciples heard about it, they came and took his body and laid it in a tomb.
 
think:  Words are very powerful and have a way of creating situations out of very little.
 
T O D A Y’S BLESSING LIST
Thank You Lord for: __________________
 
____________________________________
 
God’s special verse/thought for me today_
_____________________________________
 
READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Isaiah 57-60

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs