Pages

Monday, February 25, 2013

Daily Reflections - February 25,2013


ANTIDOTE VS. JUDGMENT
 
In my life experiences, I realized that I had the tendency to judge, and judge others harshly, whenever I felt bitter, discontented, envious and jealous. The more I allowed myself to experience my lack and my weaknesses, and the more I wallowed in thoughts of what I wanted and do not have, the more depressed I became — and the more I also wanted others to go down with me into the pit!
Rightly, Jesus’ words remind us: focus on your giftedness, on giving and sharing the overflowing goodness that you have. When we feel good about ourselves, about what we have, and what we can share positively, we realize our self-worth and, thus, have the confidence to give. I used to see an old man attending the prayer meeting of a community. He would come early, while the chapel was still empty, hours before the prayer meeting. He would be busy arranging the monobloc chairs for the assembly. He would do this week after week. And for him to do that, he had to leave his home at noontime. He would take the usual bus ride from Tarlac.
Once, I asked him if he didn’t feel bad that he, an elderly person coming from outside the metropolis, would be the one assigned to such a task. And he answered me in a rather striking way: “I have more time since I am retired, and this is what I have most — my available time. Others have more money, and that is what they also give to our community’s apostolate. Which is better? Time or money? All I know, Father, is that I enjoy what I do. Besides, God also answers my prayers in a unique way.” Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP
 
REFLECTION QUESTIONS: Do you have the habit of comparing your life with others? How does this affect you? What is God’s personal challenge for you in this regard? What good thing in your life do you have in good measure? What are you doing with it?
 
Dear Jesus, help me to embrace and love my uniqueness and not to compare myself with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs