Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Daily Reflections - September 25, 2012


To Love with the Will
 
“My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and act upon it.”
On April 19, 2011, Holy Tuesday, a big fire gutted more than half of the houses of informal settlers at the Laperal Compound just beside our San Carlos Seminary in Guadalupe, Makati. Instantly, the seminary grounds became a relocation area for the victims.
It was the middle of Holy Week. The priests felt we couldn’t just allow them to stay in our compound without ministering to them. Hastily, we made a decision to conduct Holy Week services for our guests. It was summer vacation and the seminarians were in their homes. The priests were left alone with no one to plan and execute the complicated, intricate, long and very demanding rites of the Holy Week.
It was very difficult for us physically, logistically and, not to mention, emotionally. There were times I felt the people were not really interested. We had to go to them and personally invite them to go to the chapel for the services. There were times I caught myself asking silently, “Do we really have to do this? Do they even appreciate what we are doing? Do the informal settlers even understand the rites we are performing?”
We conducted the Mass of the Lord’s Supper where we did the washing of the feet. It was a very simple rite and yet I felt they were really looking for the Lord. It was then that I felt convicted. I should not see them as squatters or “informal settlers.” I should not see them as unexpected guests of the seminary. They are the “mothers and brothers and sisters” that the Gospel speaks of. After we celebrated the Easter vigil, I felt the Lord gave me a truly meaningful Holy Week celebration.
To see the other as brother or sister goes beyond incidental blood relations. To treat someone as a brother or a sister is an intentional decision of the will. Fr. Joel Jason
 
REFLECTION QUESTION: Do you see yourself sometimes labeling people who can be difficult to live with?
 
Expand my heart, O Lord. Help me to love beyond convenience. Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs