Pages

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Daily Bible Readings

October 21, 2011
1st READING


St. Paul had a very realistic and honest view of his weaknesses. He did not live with the illusion of his own goodness but saw his true poverty of spirit and total need for God’s mercy in his life. Most of us think we are basically good. It is only when the Spirit reveals to us the true depths of evil in our hearts and how far we are from the perfection and purity of God that we can see our true need for God’s grace.


Romans 7:18-25

18 Brothers and sisters: I know that good does not dwell in me, that is, in my flesh. The willing is ready at hand, but doing the good is not. 19 For I do not do the good I want, but I do the evil I do not want. 20 Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 21 So, then, I discover the principle that when I want to do right, evil is at hand. 22 For I take delight in the law of God, in my inner self, 23 but I see in my members another principle at war with the law of my mind, taking me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. 24 Miserable one that I am! Who will deliver me from this mortal body? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

P S A L M


Psalms 119:66, 68, 76, 77, 93, 94
R: Lord, teach me your statutes.

66 Teach me wisdom and knowledge, for in your commands I trust. (R) 68 You are good and bountiful; teach me your statutes. (R) 76 Let your kindness comfort me according to your promise to your servants. (R) 77 Let your compassion come to me that I may live, for your law is my delight. (R) 93 Never will I forget your precepts, for through them you give me life. (R) 94 I am yours; save me, for I have sought your precepts. (R)

G O S P E L


Jesus points out to the crowds their spiritual blindness. If only they were as adept at seeing the true spiritual signs of God’s Kingdom as they were in predicting the coming weather, they would have not missed out on the wonderful graces and blessings that God wished to bestow on them. Let us seek to have hearts that are sensitive to the movement of God’s Spirit so that we won’t miss out on all that God wants to give us.

ALLELUIA
R: Alleluia, alleluia

Blessed are you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth; you have revealed to little ones the mysteries of the Kingdom.
R: Alleluia, alleluia

Luke 12:54-59

54 Jesus said to the crowds, “When you see a cloud rising in the west you say immediately that it is going to rain — and so it does; 55 and when you notice that the wind is blowing from the south you say that it is going to be hot — and so it is. 56 You hypocrites! You know how to interpret the appearance of the earth and the sky; why do you not know how to interpret the present time? 57 Why do you not judge for yourselves what is right? 58 If you are to go with your opponent before a magistrate, make an effort to settle the matter on the way; otherwise your opponent will turn you over to the judge, and the judge hand you over to the constable, and the constable throw you into prison. 59 I say to you, you will not be released until you have paid the last penny.”

my reflections

t h i n k : It is only when the Spirit reveals to us the true depths of evil in our hearts, and how far we are from the perfection and purity of God, that we can see our true need for God’s grace.

God’s special verse/thought for me today________________

_________________________________________________________

T O D A Y ’ S BLESSING LIST

Thank You Lord for: ____________________________________

_______________________________________________________


READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Habakkuk 1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Interesting Blogs